4.19.2013

DIY Baby Wipes/Cloth Wipe Solution

I borrowed this idea from a blog a month or two ago and now I can't find the original (sorry!)... I have tweaked their recipe a few times until I found something that works best for us.  This is a great home made alternative to store bought baby wipes (that usually contain drying alcohol).  

You can use the paper towels as baby wipes (much more gentle than it sounds, trust me.  These work awesome!) or you can just make the solution and pour over cloth wipes.  This also works wonderfully for facial cloths/makeup remover.  Love this stuff!

You will need:


Wipes:
  • 1 roll of Bounty paper towels (cheap ones don't work, take my word for it)  
    • The new Bounty Duratowels work especially well.  
    • You will need to cut the roll in half THEN remove the cardboard center
  • 1 plastic container (cylinder shaped works best) to hold the paper towels. 
    •  Place the 1/2 roll, cut side down, into the container and pull up from the center.


Solution:
  • 1-2 cups HOT water 
    • I use closer to 2 cups because I like mine wet and soapy.  This works perfectly to clean those nasty, sticky baby poops.  Then I ring the excess liquid from another or grab a dry cloth wipe to dry her off.
    • If you prefer your wipes to be damp, start with just 1 cup and adjust as needed.
  • 1 tbsp Coconut oil
  • 1 tbsp baby soap/shampoo
    • I use Dr. Bronner's Unscented Baby-Mild Pure Castille Soap (available at Target or Wegmans)
  • (optional) 2-4 drops of Tea Tree Oil

Stir the soap and oil(s) into the hot water until dissolved and pour over the paper towels.  They will absorb the solution and be ready for wiping cute little baby bums in just a few minutes.



I have also used this solution for my cloth wipes, however it does not work well in a sprayer (likely because of the coconut oil) so I just pour it over a stack of wipes in a warmer or use a squirt bottle.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment