8.12.2012

Kennedy's 2 Week Check In

2 weeks and counting.  Kennedy is growing so fast, right before my very eyes.  I can't believe that 2 weeks ago, at this time, I was pushing and pushing with all my might.  I didn't know if my little one was a "he" or a "she" and I didn't know the depth of love that a mother could feel.  I also didn't yet know just how many diapers I would go through on a daily basis or how little sleep I could actually function on.  Now, I am a nursing, diaper changing zombie mommy... but I have never been happier or more in love with such a teeny tiny little being.  Wow... life happens so fast.

How Big Is Baby?

  • I would guess we are close to 9 1/2 lbs.  At our appointment last Tuesday, Kennedy was 9lb 1oz and she has been a nursing machine... so yeah... 9 1/2 would be my guess.
Development & Milestones
  • Kennedy picks her head up and holds it up for several seconds to minutes at a time.  She is so so strong and it really blows my mind.  She is smiling more and more, both while asleep and while awake now.  She makes eye contact and stares at mommy, daddy or Lucy for long stretches.  I wish I knew what was going through her mind as she stares and smiles.
Diet/Nursing
  • Baby girl is still nursing very well and mommy is getting used to nursing and pumping.  We also introduced the bottle since I will be going back to work in a few weeks.  Kennedy is just like her mommy and daddy... she doesn't care where the food comes from... food is food and she is happy to eat.  This is such a relief since some breast fed babies do not take to the bottle right away when it comes time to transition.  I am still primarily breastfeeding, but we use the bottle maybe once a day or once every other day, to make sure she is comfortable with it as well.
Sleep
  • We discussed days/night with the pediatrician at our appointment and she gave us some strategies to help get things switched around.  We have been waking Kennedy about every 2 hours during the day to nurse and trying to keep her stimulated during the day (going for walks outside, enjoying some time on her play mat, tummy time, etc).  We do her bath right before bed and, even if Kevin and I stay up, we keep the lights off or low and play soft music to encourage her to sleep.  We have been blessed on a few occasions with 3 hour stretches of sleep.  Here's to hoping those 3 hour stretches continue and maybe even lengthen to 4!!  Oh my... 4 hours of sleep in a row... that just sounds like heaven.
PP Mommy Check In
  • I feel great!  Aside from the sleep deprivation of course... which in all honesty really isn't too terrible.  Kevin is still on leave so I can nap during the day or he can give a bottle for a feeding at night if I get desperate.  I haven't really cashed in on these luxuries yet... maybe I should before he goes back to work.  
  • We have been going for walks daily, which feels great... and I have started easing back into working out.  Abs went well, but I am anxious to go full-on CrossFit crazy and start running again.  I'm thinking maybe one more week of taking it easy, then game on.
  • Right now I weigh about 140lbs.  
  • *For reference, my highest pregnancy weight was 162, my pre-pregnancy weight was 130 and my goal weight is 125*
How Is Daddy?
  • I really can't say enough about Kevin.  He has been absolutely amazing.  He wakes up every night and offers to burp or change diapers, since he can't exactly nurse.  He has been keeping the house clean and cooking dinner, spoiling me every chance he gets.  I am so so very lucky.  He is an amazing, caring, generous father.  I can't wait to see Kennedy smile at him and really interact with him.
Any appointments, visitors or outings?  Anything else new?
  • We had our 1 week follow up with the pediatrician on Tuesday.  Baby girl weighed in ay 9lbs 1 oz.... Holy cannoli!!  I can't believe how big she is getting.  We had some concerns about some yellowish discharge from one of K's eyes.  This began on Monday afternoon and had gotten pretty yucky by Tuesday morning (good thing we already had an appointment with the pediatrician!).  The pedi told us that it was likely a blocked tear duct and nothing of concern.  We applied a warm wet washcloth to her eyelid several times a day and it cleared right up.  Phew!!  Otherwise, everything else checked out great... our little girl continues to grow healthy and strong!
  • My mom left on Monday to go back to Florida.  Mike was supposed to leave Monday also, but he missed his flight.  The plane actually flew over our car while we were pulling into the airport... not awesome.  Luckily he was able to catch a flight out of Syracuse Tuesday morning... which he did make on time.  So now... it's just Kevin and I with our two girls (yes, Lucy counts)... time to really get used to our new little family.  Eeeeek!!
  • This afternoon we took Kennedy to church and I tried out my new ring sling for the first time.  I loved it and I think Kennedy loved it to!!  I am really digging baby wearing and plan to use my sling a lot more (although Kevin LOVES to push her in the stroller, so I will have to fight him for it).  She seemed very comfortable and slept peacefully throughout the mass.  It was very comfortable for me to wear and kind of kept strangers hands off of her.  Bonus!
  Love/Hate: 
  • Love:  My custom ring sling from Sleeping Baby Productions.  I can't rave enough about this thing.  It's beautiful, comfortable, functional, perfect! 
  • Hate:  Hmm... not really sure.  I'll come back to this one.
Any upcoming developments, milestones?  What's next?
  • Next appointment isn't until her 2 month check up.... how awesome is that?  
  • I have a post partum checkup in early September.

Picture Time!!
    Coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment