8.05.2012

Kennedy's 1 Week Check In

My baby is one week old... 7 days.  I can't believe it.  It seems like she is already growing and changing and time is already flying too fast.  Slow down baby girl!!!

How Big Is Baby?

  • I am terrible with weight guessing, but my best guess is that little miss chunk muffin is pushing 9lbs. 
Development & Milestones
  • Kennedy is starting to smile in her sleep... which is the most precious thing ever.  She grabs fingers tightly and likes to lift her head up off my chest/shoulder when I am holding her.  Such a strong girl already!
Diet/Nursing
  • Kennedy is nursing like a champ!  We are so so very lucky that she has a great latch and nurses well throughout the day and night.
Sleep
  • What is this thing you call sleep?  Ha!!  Well... baby girl does sleep pretty good... I really shouldn't complain.  She will sleep about 3 hours during the day, but only about 2 at night.  It seems that she has her days/nights confused.  We will definitely be discussing this with the pediatrician on Tuesday.  But until then, even 2 hours is better than nothing, right?
PP Mommy Check In
  • I am feeling pretty darn good.  Still bleeding, which is normal... but man I can't wait to ditch the diaper sized pads.  Recovery is going great and I really only have discomfort when I cough, sneeze or laugh too hard... otherwise I feel fine.  We have been walking machines since we got home, so between that and nursing I am hoping to watch the pounds drop quickly.  
  • Right now I weigh about 143lbs. 
  • *For reference, my highest pregnancy weight was 162, my pre-pregnancy weight was 130 and my goal weight is 125*
How Is Daddy?
  • Kevin is doing wonderfully.  He is really settling into his role as a daddy and it is so amazing to watch him learn, grow and play with Kennedy.  I am so very blessed to have a husband who is so excited to be a father and be involved in every aspect of parenting that he can.  He gets up with me in the middle of the night, I nurse then pass her off to Kevin for a diaper change so I can get back to sleep as soon as possible.  He LOVES to push her around in the stroller and wants to show her off to everybody we meet.  And Kennedy has him wrapped around her little finger already.
Any appointments, visitors or outings?  Anything else new?
  • We had our first office visit with the pediatrician on Tuesday.  Kennedy weighed in at 8lbs 9oz... just 1oz under her birth weight and up 4oz from when we left the hospital at 8lbs 5oz.  Normally it takes babies up to 2 weeks to make it back to their birth weight, so we are very impressed with her weight gain... this makes me feel so good about nursing her.  Now I know we are getting it right!  Everything else checked out great... we have a happy, healthy little girl!  So incredibly blessed!  (I should add that on our check out paperwork, there was a CPT code for "Abnormal weight gain"... I cracked right up.  Obviously we don't want our daughter to be overweight but... umm... she's was just a few days old.  Give me a break!!)
  • This week has been a very busy week with lots of visitors coming and going.  Kevin's parents came to visit from Monday-Wednesday.  They power cleaned our house, stocked our fridge and cooked us tons of yummy food (can we say angels??).  They were so excited to meet Kennedy and it was tough for them to leave.  Then my brother flew in on Tuesday... we are so so excited to have him here with us.  Mike just LOVES Kennedy and it is so cool to see this tough guy just melt when he cuddles this tiny baby.  My mom flew in on Thursday... watching her meet her granddaughter for the first time was just priceless.  She has also been a huge help and we are so lucky to have her here.  Mom and Mike will both be leaving on Monday... I'm not sure when Mike will be able to come visit again, but my Mom will be back soon for Kennedy's christening.
  • We took Kennedy on a drive to Ithaca (about an hour and a half away) to pick up my mom from the airport.  She did great in the car!  We also attempted our first public nursing experience, well sort of.  I nursed her in the bathroom at the mall.  It was awkward and disgusting, but we did it!!  I don't know that I will be doing that again though.  I have a nursing cover so I think next time I will just try to discreetly nurse her under the cover.  We'll see.
  • We also went to the local Farmer's Market yesterday and then the mall.  The Farmer's Market was awesome, as usual and the mall was... well the mall.  Kevin learned an important lesson about taking the stroller on the escalator and despite me almost killing him for not listening to me (word to the wise... never ever EVER attempt to go down an escalator with a stroller facing forward... DUH!!!)... everyone made it out unscathed.
  • This morning we took Kennedy to her first mass along with Mike and my mom.  We got there really really late, but it was still a good service.  I really need to work on getting out of the house on time.  It's really tough with a newborn because I have very little control (ok ZERO control) over when they need to eat, need to be changed, etc.  I'm learning...
  Love/Hate:
  • Love:  Earth Mama Angel Baby New Mama Bottom Spray.  Umm... feels heavenly on my tender lady bits.  This stuff is a god send and I wish I had it with me in the hospital.  Oh well... better late than never, right?
  • Hate:  Diaper size pads... ugh.  So awkward and uncomfortable.  Also not a fan of the disposable nursing pads- of any kind.  They feel plasticy and sticky.  I only have a few sets of washable pads, so I will be ordering some more from Amazon soon.
Any upcoming developments, milestones?  What's next?
  • Next appointment is Tuesday.  I'm excited for another weight check in.

Picture time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment