12.14.2011

8 Week Check In

Well this is my first... and I am new to this, so bear with me.  :)

We found out we were expecting on 11/11/11 (must have been our lucky day), but have been on pins and needles waiting for our first ultrasound to confirm everything is progressing well.  Having experienced a miscarriage in July, I feel like I have lost some of the naivete that goes along with a first pregnancy.  I used to believe that you get pregnant and 9 months later you have a healthy baby... simple as that.  I knew things *could* go wrong, but I guess I felt "it will never happen to me."  Now that I know how very fragile a pregnancy can be, I am nervous.  Over the moon excited, but still more aware of the possibilities and nervous.

Today was my very first OB appointment and will be my first pregnancy check in.  I am nervous, excited, amazed and scared to freaking death all at the same time.  This is going to be one heck of a roller coaster, but I am so thrilled to be on it.

How Big Is Baby?
 
  • That's right... the size of a raspberry.  Seems so tiny!!


Baby’s Development

  • Baby is growing like mad, putting on about a millimeter every day and continuing to straighten out in the trunk. Though I can't feel it yet, baby is moving those little arms, legs and (now only slightly) webbed fingers and toes like crazy.
 

How Big Is Mommy?
https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?view=att&th=136750e11eb5fec7&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1398175095369760768-1&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-2E0kNkg943FpCNAY-2fyh&sadet=1333407080760&sads=48YlFsjeJa1jItfbVq4x2LhJH3w&sadssc=1 https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?view=att&th=136750e9619399e1&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1398175150998413482-1&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-2E0kNkg943FpCNAY-2fyh&sadet=1333407130252&sads=_0dsXZUFmbPopSrCAbrV4TudR4Q
  •  Definitely not anywhere near showing yet... and have probably lost a pound or two from being so sick... but I am very excited for a cute little baby bump.

How Am I feeling?
  • Physically:  Like crap.  Seriously.  I have been using the mantra "Happy to feel crappy" but I am starting to get on my own nerves with that.  Lol. I am unbelievably nauseous from the time I wake up until the time I fall asleep.  I toss my cookies multiple times a day.  I have been reduced to eating bagels, pretzel sticks, Cheerios and crackers.  More disturbing is the fact that I cannot drink water.  I LOVE water.  The OB told me to drink Coke... O_o  Coke?!?!  I never drink soda.  I thought I was supposed to be eating/drinking healthy.  So bizarre.  Apparently Cola Syrup (the base for Coke) is excellent at relieving upset stomach.  At this point, I will try anything, so Coke it is.
  • Emotionally:  I was a nervous wreck leading up to today's appointment.  I was terrified we would begin the ultrasound and the tech would get very quiet and we would find out that there was no heartbeat.  I was preparing myself for the worst.  But... after we saw our little gummy bear on the screen wiggling around, then heard that amazing sound of the heartbeat, I was absolutely at peace and in awe of the little teeny miracle growing inside me.  I still just can't believe it.  We are so very blessed.  Hearing that heartbeat and seeing that little gummy bear bouncing around makes all of the nausea worth while... I will just have to keep reminding myself of that simple fact.

Any new developments, milestones?  Anything new?
  • Well, we had our first appointment and ultrasound today.  It was absolutely amazing.  Baby looks great and has a strong healthy heartbeat.

Love/Hate:
  • Love:  Bagels with cinnamon sugar butter... it's about the only thing that I can stomach (about 1/4 of a bagel at a time) and actually enjoy
  • Hate:  Television commercials of delicious food that I know would make me vomit.  I would like to give Chili's, Sonic (which there isn't even one within 50 miles of here anyway) and Olive Garden a piece of my mind.  I can't wait to be able to eat real food again.

Any upcoming developments, milestones?  What's next?
  • Tomorrow, I am driving to Watertown with one of my good friends to take my nursing boards on Friday.  After the test, we are driving back to Syracuse then Kevin and I will be driving to Pittsburgh.  We are planning to share our news with his family when we open presents.  We bought cute picture frames (I will try to snap a pic and post below) that we can place an ultrasound picture in.  We are going to wrap it like a Christmas present and have them open it last.  We are so excited to be able to share this news with them in person.  My family is in Florida, so we won't be able to share in person, but we will be mailing them the same frame with ultrasound picture and plan to Skype with them when they open it.  :)  This is getting very real now.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment